Norwich City School District
The Norwich City School District transports over 2,000 students daily to four public schools, BOCES Occupational and Special Education, and various private and parochial schools. Students who do not follow transportation rules and regulations are subject to loss of transportation privileges.
The rules and regulations for students riding the school buses are as follows:
1. The bus driver has complete authority over all school bus students and the power to enforce all rules and regulations on the bus.
2. Students shall be ready when the bus arrives and shall enter promptly and students shall not board or leave the bus while it is in motion.
3. There shall be no unusual loudness in the way of talking or unnecessary confusion that will interfere with the effectiveness of the bus driver.
4. Shoving, pushing, profane and obscene language is prohibited on the bus.
5. Students shall keep heads, arms and hands inside the bus at all times.
6. There shall be no smoking or eating on the bus.
7. Students shall keep the bus clean and sanitary.
8. Students shall keep the seat assigned by the driver unless they have permission to move.
9. Students shall pass through the aisle to and from the seat assigned without disturbing or crowding other pupils.
10. Students shall remain seated and facing forward while the bus is in motion.
11. Students shall obey the driver promptly.
12. Students should realize that the driver has a serious responsibility and that it is everyone's duty to help.
13. Students must always look at the driver and wait for the signal before crossing, which is done approximately 15 feet in front of the bus.
14. Principals may suspend a student from transportation privileges if his/her conduct interferes with bus safety or rules.
15. Supervision to, from and at the bus stop is the responsibility of the parent/guardian. Parents are urged to assist children across roadways at or near the bus stop.
16. Seat belts are installed in all new buses. Wearing of belts is mandatory in vehicles with a capacity of 7 or fewer students and optional on larger vehicles.
17. Students shall not eat or drink on the bus. This includes chewing gum.